We have now released aggregate data for residential mortgage balances by postcode sector at the end of 2016 Q3.
These figures form part of a joint data reporting exercise, covering lending to small and medium enterprises (SMEs), residential mortgages and personal loans, coordinated by the British Bankers' Association (BBA) and the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). Data is collated and published on a quarterly basis, six months after the end of each reporting period. The BBA publishes data covering lending to SMEs and personal loans.
You can download aggregate mortgage data via the links at the bottom of the page. Figures for Great Britain are available from 2013 Q2 onwards, and for Northern Ireland from 2014 Q3.
The following lenders participate in the GB and/or Northern Ireland exercises, and collectively account for about 73 per cent of UK mortgage lending. These lenders publish postcode data relating to their own customers' borrowing. Clicking on their names will take you directly to their postcode data or, where the lender has not yet provided this link, to their home page.
- Bank of Ireland
- Barclays Bank
- Clydesdale & Yorkshire Banks
- Danske Bank
- First Trust Bank
- HSBC Bank
- Lloyds Banking Group
- Nationwide Building Society
- Santander UK
- Ulster Bank
In summary, the published data covers 9,002 of the 9,154 GB postcode sectors that are geographic in nature. This represents mortgage lending worth around £935 billion.
Of the 235 NI postcode sectors that are geographic in nature, data are published for 234, worth around £21 billion.
Lending data in 153 sectors could not be published in order to preserve borrower confidentiality.
Of those sectors where no mortgage lending data are reported, the most recent census data (from 2011) indicate the vast majority at that time contained either no dwellings or no dwellings with mortgages attached.
Future data release
The next release of data, for 2016 Q3, will be published on 10 July 2017.
- Postcode lending data - 2016 Q3
- Postcode lending data - 2016 Q2
- Postcode lending data - 2016 Q1
- Postcode lending data - 2015 Q4
- Postcode lending data - 2015 Q3
- Postcode lending data - 2015 Q2
- Postcode lending data - 2015 Q1
- Postcode lending data - 2014 Q4
- Postcode lending data - 2014 Q3
- Postcode lending data - 2014 Q2
- Postcode lending data - 2014 Q1
- Postcode lending data - 2013 Q4
- Postcode lending data - 2013 Q3
- Postcode lending data - 2013 Q2