Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee scheme
Last updated: 4 January 2017
At a glance
- Help to Buy was announced in the March 2013 Budget. It is a package of measures that was introduced to increase the supply of low-deposit mortgages for credit-worthy households. There are two elements:
- Help to Buy: Mortgage Guarantee, and
- Help to Buy: equity loan schemes
- The HTB Mortgage Guarantee scheme was intended to be a temporary measure. It opened on 2 January 2014 and closed on 31 December 2016. The guarantee is valid for seven years after the mortgage originated.
- The scheme was designed to increase lending to creditworthy households with deposits of 5% to 20% by providing a guarantee to lenders in the event that the
- HM Treasury publishes quarterly scheme statistics.